Saturday, April 16, 2005

Screenies v9.3

Okay, on popular demand, here are some of my screenies of SuSE 9.3 & my personal review of the distro.

Beagle doing what it does the best!


FSpot, running through my photo gallery.


Adobe Acrobat 7.0


My Plain-Jane Desktop, nothing much fancy about it :-)


YaST in some of its forms...






More screenies for Xen, beagle, FSpot, OO-2.0-Beta will soon be a part of this blog :-)
Sincerely speaking... Its a great distro, aptly complemented with the large rpm-base thats present on the cd's. Its almost impossible that you need a package & its already not there on the installation media (though the versions may differ).
YaST is a great tool, doing almost everything for you. From online updates to device mgmt to services mgmt, everything! Gnome 2.10 is fantastic, almost all nagging problems of 2.8 version are solved. Mono apps like Beagle, FSpot, Blam are making life quite easier.
SuSE 9.3 is almost as fast as my Gentoo (sometimes even faster).

BUT, i do miss my emerge/apt-get. SuSE has to do some real work on this regard. I cannot happily live with Gaim 1.1.4 when i know that Gaim 1.2.1 is already running on my Gentoo!

All in all, i'll rate this distro 8.5/10 on looks, 8.5 on speed but 6-6.5/10 on updates & stuff!

...more next time,
makuchaku (SuSE'd)

2 comments:

Manuj said...

maku
mujhe cd,s courier kar de yaar

Anonymous said...

aur mujhe bhi...sending you the money! :D

Ankit Malik
Scribbler was here